Gräciõ's LäveñderBliss Café: Pong Dai Hai Tong Shui

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Pong Dai Hai Tong Shui

This tong shui brings back many memories when I was in my teens. My secondary school days were very adventurous. Been thru' lots of ups & downs, more downs I must say. Daily after school, I would go over to the hawker centre opposite to makan this with my gal friends, usually after eating Yong Tau Foo. =) Cooling and easy to prepare too. This is different from Cheng Teng...


Ingredients:
5pcs of sterculia seeds (pong dai hai)- Soak in water till expanded. Discard skin & use soft pulp. 40gm sago beads
6 cups of water
30gm rock sugar or adjust according to your taste

Method:
1) Boil sago beads in a pot till its transparent. Remove from boiling water and soak them in room temperature water to avoid sticking together.
2) Boil water, add in rock sugar to make sugar syrup, throw in Sterculia Seeds and bring it to a boil.
3) Serve and enjoy! Remember to add in sago beads when serving!

*The reason of adding in the sago beads when serving is so that the syrup will not turn out to be sticky.
**This dessert can be served either hot or chilled.